Back to Space Unit
Our Solar System
|How did our solar system evolve?
· Cold cloud of dust & gas
· Nebular theory – cloud of dust (matter) condensed to form Sun and planets
How or why did the sun form first?
· About 5 billion years ago, a supernova occurred (tremendous explosion in which a star breaks apart, releasing energy and newly formed elements)
· It formed a nebula (star)
· That star began to collapse
· Gravity pulled matter toward the center and the gas cloud became the sun
· Nuclear Fusion gave off heat (and continues to)
How did the planets form?
· Gas & dust spun around the sun
· Gravity caused them to clump together
· These “clumps” formed planets
· The farther planets stayed as gas