· The layer above the outer core is the mantle.
· A very thin layer called the Gutenberg Discontinuity separates the mantle and the core.
· A very thin layer called the Mohorovicic Discontinuity separates the mantle and the crust.
· The very upper mantle is rigid and is considered part of the lithosphere. It has a temperature from 870°C.
· The rest of the upper mantle is thick, and is like a liquid. It has the ability to flow. It has the property of plasticity (like ooblek).
· The lower mantle is more rigid due to the increase in pressure. It is filled with magma. It has a temperature that reaches 2,200°C .
· The mantle contains the elements silicon, oxygen, iron and magnesium.
· Both pressure and density increase as you go deeper into the mantle.
Plasticity means that a solid has the ability to flow.