The Earth’s Core
Pages 12-13 (Inside Earth)
How do scientists study the Earth?
What is the Earth’s core made of?
· Inner Core- P-waves speed up so it is a solid.
· Temperature of 5000°C
· Made up of the elements Iron and Nickel
· It is solid due to the enormous pressure of the Earth.
· Magnetic property comes from the iron in the core.
· Outer Core-P-waves slow down and S waves disappear so it is a liquid
· Also made of the elements Iron and Nickel
· Temperture ranges from 2200°C to 5000°C
What gives Earth its