The LVHS Girls and Boys Track & Field teams competed in the Class "A" County Championship yesterday at Cold Spring Harbor HS. The Falcons had a number of standout performances, but the highlight of the night was the girls’ 4x100m Relay team of Alex Vassallo, Lindsay Abraham, Stephanie Reyes and Lily D'Addario. They dominated the competition coming in first place with a time of 52.09 sec. earning the title of 2016 Nassau County Class A Champions. The girls entered the race ranked fifth and beat out higher ranked teams from Valley Stream North, Valley Stream South, North Shore, and Cold Spring Harbor for the win. This group of girls is now ranked third best in LV's record book for the 4x100m relay.
Other LV athletes that earned All-County recognition are:
· Adam Cohen - All-County honors in Boys Discus with a personal best throw of 153’ 9”– 2nd place finish.
· Mackenzie Mavros - All-County honors in Girls Discus with a personal best throw of 83' 11" - 2nd place finish.
· Stephanie Reyes - All-County honors in 100m Hurdles with a personal best time of 15.79 sec. – 2nd place finish and All-County honors in 400m Hurdles with a time of 1:07.6 – 3rd place finish.
· Roisin O’Neill - All-County honors in 800m run with a personal-best time of 2:23.55 – 3rd place finish.
The following student-athletes also put in impressive performances in this highly competitive County meet:
Girls Track & Field:
· Alex Vassallo - 4th place in the 100m with a time of 13.25 sec.
· The 4x800m Relay Team of Christine Lee, Joanna Yu, Melissa Cooney and Kristy Jahchan finished in 8th place with a time of 11:28.7
Boys Track & Field:
· Charlie Compono - 7th place in the 400m Hurdles with a time of 1:02.04 sec.
· David Fernandez – 10th place in Discus with a throw of 102’4”
· The 4x100m Boys Relay Team of Dylan Kelly, Charlie Compono, Tom Talenti and Eddie Garcia finished in 6th place with a time of 47.35 sec.
Congratulations to all competitors! Next up for select members of the Girls' and Boys' Teams is the State Qualifier Meet on Thursday, June 2 and Friday, June 3 at North Shore High School.